Skip to main content

Special Audiences

We understand no two applicants are the same and not every applicant fits neatly into the category of freshmen or transfer student. That is why we will consider your specific circumstances through an application process developed just for you.

Agriculture Forward at Maryland is an access program for students who plan to pursue a career in agriculture and natural resources. Participants in the Ag Forward program receive dual academic advising from the Institute of Applied Agriculture (IAA) and College of Agriculture and Natural Resources (AGNR) faculty members to ensure all program requirements are met. At the end of four years, students who have met all program requirements graduate with both an IAA certificate and a bachelor’s degree from their selected AGNR major.

You can enroll at the University of Maryland (UMD) even before you graduate from high school. We allow talented high school seniors to take up to two courses or seven credits during the fall, spring and summer semesters. We’re looking for students who’ve demonstrated exceptional performance and ability in a rigorous high school program.

To apply, submit a completed application, high school transcript, an essay explaining why you’re interested in attending UMD concurrently, a letter of recommendation from your high school and a letter of permission from your parents or legal guardians. You also must live within commuting distance. In order to be considered, students must apply by the following deadlines:

If you did not graduate from a regionally accredited high school, then submit results of the Tests of General Education Development, along with academic letters of recommendation, an essay and SAT scores with your application.

If you are 60 or older, a legal resident of the state of Maryland and retired, the University of Maryland has courses and services available to you. To participate in the Golden ID program, you must submit a completed application. If admitted to the university, you can register on a space-available basis for credit courses as a regular or special student in any session. You must pay an administrative fee for each semester registered.

If you’ve been home-schooled, you should submit your completed application and provide a transcript with the following: course descriptions, books used, methods of evaluation and grades received. You should meet the same minimum high school course requirements expected of all applicants; your SAT and/or ACT scores will be strongly considered in the review of your application.

Please also include general information about your home-schooling program or agency and a letter of recommendation from both an academic professional and the home-schooling teacher/parent. If you’ve taken college-level courses, you should also include an official college transcript with your application.

Transfer students interested in taking courses at UMD without pursuing a degree must apply for admission as non-degree seeking students using the transfer application.

  • If you have not completed a bachelor’s degree, you must submit a completed application, official transcripts from all colleges and universities previously attended and the application fee.
  • If you have already completed a bachelor's degree, transcripts are not required. However, since you may need to demonstrate that you have met prerequisites, we recommend having one available to provide.
  • If you wish to enroll for one semester as a visiting student and transfer the coursework back to your home institution, you must submit the transfer application, official transcripts, the application fee and a letter of permission from an academic advisor or dean at your home institution.


On the application, please be sure to indicate that you are applying as a "non-degree seeking" student. You will be reviewed under the same standards for admission as degree-seeking students and we cannot guarantee that non-degree seeking applications received after the application deadline will be reviewed.

Non-degree seeking students wishing to take a single course during a summer or winter term must complete the application available on the Office of Extended Studies website.

If you earned a bachelor's degree and wish to apply for admission to earn another undergraduate degree or to take courses as a non-degree seeking student at UMD, you will use the Transfer application in StandOut Admissions Network. Follow the transfer applicant requirements. For more information on applying as a non-degree seeking student, please review the previous Non-Degree Seeking Student section on this page. 

Students interested in Science in the Evening or Hearing and Speech in the Evening should apply through the Office of Extended Studies Post-Baccalaureate Programs

Re-enrollment pertains only to students who have previously attended the University of Maryland, College Park. If you are interested in returning to the university after a period of dismissal or withdrawal, then you can complete a re-enrollment application. Students who attended on a "term only" basis or who were admitted to the university but did not attend must complete a regular application for undergraduate admission. For more information about the re-enrollment process, please visit the Student Success Office website.

If you’re interested in the School of Music, you will need to submit an additional application and the associated required materials by November 1 for an early action decision or by December 1 for a regular decision. Once the School of Music application is complete, the School of Music admissions office will review your recorded audition. The School of Music application and audition will be used to determine your eligibility for admission into the School of Music. It will not be used, however, in the review of your eligibility for admission to the University of Maryland.

For more information, please visit the School of Music website or email their office at

The University of Maryland is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students, including undocumented students.

Learn more about resources for undocumented students >>

Thank you for your service! As a veteran, you face unique challenges navigating the admission process and we want to support you through it. At the University of Maryland, you are considered a veteran if you’re currently enlisted or have served in the U.S. armed forces or one of its reserve units. We highly encourage veterans like you to apply to Maryland, where we look forward to helping you achieve your personal and academic goals and get involved in campus life. As a Principles of Excellence Program institution, we are committed to helping you continue your education and get involved in Veteran Student Life.

  • Freshman

Freshman applicants are students who did not attend college out of high school and have not earned more than 12 college credits. To be considered for freshman admission, you need to submit the completed application, your high school transcript and letters of recommendation from current or former military superiors or civilian supervisors. If you’ve been out of school more than three years, you don’t need to submit SAT or ACT scores. Please review all requirements for freshman applicants. We do not need proof of military documentation until after you are offered admission to the university. To help us determine eligibility for student aid and priority registration, during the application process you will be asked to upload a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD form 214). For information regarding application fee waiver eligibility, please review our Fee Waivers page.

  • Transfer

Transfer applicants should have attended college after high school or while you were on active duty and earned at least 12 college credits. Credit for basic military training is awarded to qualified students based on submission of required documentation. However, the Joint Services Transcript does not count towards the 12 credits necessary to be a transfer student or the 30 credits necessary to no longer be required to submit high school information. Visit the basic military credit policy for details. Please review all requirements for transfer applicants. We do not need proof of military documentation until after you are offered admission to the university. To help us determine eligibility for student aid and priority registration, during the application process you will be asked to upload a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD form 214). For information regarding application fee waiver eligibility, please review our Fee Waivers page.


Terps love a challenge. A problem that needs a solution. A barrier that needs breaking down. You are smart, scrappy and determined. You value diversity, innovation, entrepreneurship and imagination. Ready to start your fearless journey?

Be A Terp


You can only learn so much about a school from a brochure. Even if we tell you how beautiful our campus is, or how fantastic our students and faculty are, you will not know for yourself until you experience it for yourself!

Come try on our campus for size! Stop by one of our top-notch athletic facilities. Have a scoop of homemade ice cream at the Dairy. Rub the nose of one of our beloved Testudo statues for good luck. Get all your questions answered. It won't be hard to picture yourself at home here for the next four years. 

Please visit our updates page for information regarding visit opportunity changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Virtual Visit

Unable to make it to campus? Explore our beautiful campus from anywhere in the world!

Virtual Tour



You've done your research and explored your options, and you know that UMD is the perfect place for you. Now it's time to apply. 

COMMON APP >>   StandOut Admissions Network >>

Freshman applicants can apply using either the Common App or StandOut Admissions Network platforms. At this time, transfer applicants can only apply using StandOut Admissions Network.


Consistently ranked as one of the best values in public higher education, you can rest assured that you will receive an affordable world-class education.

College is a major investment for you and your family. The university is here to help. We offer an array of financial aid programs—including scholarships, grants, loans and student employment—as part of our commitment to making an excellent education affordable.


State of Maryland Residents   Non-Maryland Residents

The University of Maryland has launched a new investment in need-based financial aid, the Terrapin Commitment program, which will provide up to $20 million annually for students from the state of Maryland.

The goal of the Terrapin Commitment program is to reduce the gap between a student’s total financial aid package and the cost of an education. The program will begin in January 2023 and ensures that tuition and fees are fully covered for Pell eligible, in-state students, who are enrolled full time and have unmet financial need. More details can be found on the Office of Student Financial Aid's website.


Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland! We are excited to welcome you into our world of fearless ideas.

You’ve received your admission letter, checked out your major and started celebrating with family and friends. To make enrollment official, check out information for newly admitted students to get everything you need to start your academic career at UMD. 

ENROLL (Freshman)    ENROLL (Transfer)