Maryland Transfer Advantage Program FAQs
Have questions about the Maryland Transfer Advantage Program (MTAP) at the University of Maryland (UMD)? We have answers. Save time by reviewing answers to these frequently asked questions before contacting the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students who intend to complete 30 credits or an associate’s degree at a participating community college after graduating from high school.
- Students currently attending a participating community college who plan to transfer to UMD to complete a bachelor’s degree.
- Spring admitted freshman
- Students who are re-enrolling at UMD
- Students currently enrolled at a four-year institution
- Students who have been academically dismissed from UMD
- Students who apply for MTAP and admission to the university at the same time
- High school students who are dually enrolled at a community college
- Students who have previously earned a bachelors degree
- Anne Arundel Community College
- Carroll Community College
- Cecil College
- Chesapeake College
- College of Southern Maryland
- Community College of Baltimore County
- Frederick Community College
- Harford Community College
- Howard Community College
- Montgomery College
- Prince George’s Community College
- Wor-Wic Community College
Applying to MTAP
- You are encouraged to apply to MTAP as soon as you are accepted to a participating community college, but you can apply by the deadline prior to your last semester. When available, you can find the application on the MTAP page as well as the associated deadlines.
- You must participate in MTAP for a minimum of one semester before transferring. When you are ready to transfer to UMD as a degree-seeking student, please complete the application for transfer admission by the appropriate early action deadline.
- Complete and submit the MTAP online application.
- MTAP applications must be submitted no later than the application deadline of June 1 or November 15.
- Once your application is submitted, your community college will be informed and the community college will submit your enrollment verification form and transcript (if applicable). After these items are received, your MTAP application will be complete and the Office of Undergraduate Admissions will review your application.
Students will receive an MTAP admission decision email within 4-6 weeks after the MTAP application deadline. MTAP emails will be sent directly to the email provided on the MTAP application.
University of Maryland
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
7999 Regents Dr.
College Park, MD 20742-5235, USA
MTAP Completion Requirements & Transferring to UMD
- Students must participate in MTAP for a minimum of one semester before transferring to UMD and not matriculate to any other institution of higher education after MTAP acceptance.
- Complete 30 college credit hours or earn an associate’s degree from an MTAP partner community college.
- Earn a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or a B average from all previous institutions attended.
- Complete Fundamental Studies Academic English and Mathematics.
Please note: AP/IB credits or credits from another institution may count towards the fundamental English (only English Composition) and math requirements. The original AP test scores must be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions from College Board and/or IB from International Baccalaureate.
- No, AP/IB credits earned will not count towards the 30 credits required for MTAP completion or the transfer application. If any of the 30 credits for the transfer application were completed from an AP/IB exam, that student will need to send their high school transcript and SAT/ACT scores to UMD by the early action deadline in order to have a complete application. If all 30 credits were completed at the community college then no high school transcript or SAT/ACT scores will be needed.
- Credits earned at another two- or four-year institution can be used to meet the MTAP and UMD transfer application requirements, as long as the last 15 credits are completed at one of the eight participating community colleges.
- Submit the UMD transfer application by the early action deadline. On the application, please indicate your participation in MTAP.
- MTAP participants do not receive special consideration for acceptance into Limited Enrollment Programs or any specific major.
- MTAP students are not guaranteed admission at the University of Maryland at the Universities at Shady Grove. Students who wish to participate in their Terp Transfer Partnership must reach out to Director of Transfer Access Programs, Justin Edgar.
- You should submit the transfer application by the early action deadline, following the semester in which you will complete the MTAP requirements. Upon successful completion of the program requirements, you are guaranteed admission to UMD.
- At a minimum, you must participate in the program for one semester for all benefits to apply.
- If you have questions about the admission process, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- The early action deadline for MTAP students is strongly encouraged and space is limited for those who submit an application after the early action deadline.
- All MTAP participants who have completed international coursework must complete their application by the early action deadline.
- If you are an MTAP participant and you are an international student, please refer to the requirements for transfer admission.