Skip to main content

Obtaining a Visa

Admitted international applicants and students with international coursework must provide a visa after they are offered admission.

If you are admitted to the University of Maryland and hold or intend to seek an F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor visa, you must submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp with your application. We do not need this documentation until after you are offered admission to the university.

If you have questions regarding the status of your visa or the required paperwork, please contact International Student & Scholar Services.

If you are holding F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor status in the United States, you need to submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, visa stamp and current I-20 or DS2019 form along with your certification of finances.

If you have another type of nonimmigrant status, you need to submit a photocopy of your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and visa stamp, and must indicate if you intend to change to F-1 Student or J-1 Exchange Visitor status. Upon admission and submission of the appropriate financial support documentation, the university will issue you the appropriate Certificate of Eligibility form (I-20 or DS2019).

To enter the United States, international students residing abroad need a passport from their government and a visa from the U.S. Consulate. To obtain a visa for the purposes of studying in the United States, the applicant must present a Certificate of Eligibility form I-20 to the U.S. Consulate. The university’s Office of International Student & Scholar Services will issue this form to admitted students who have:

  1. Submitted the Certification of Finances to provide proof of having sufficient funds to cover the cost of a program of study.
  2. Confirmed their enrollment online.

Your admission to the university may be cancelled if all required materials are not received.

Admitted students who are sponsored by agencies, foundations or their home government, or are participating in an established exchange program may be issued the Certificate of Eligibility form (DS2019) in order to obtain the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

If you are a Canadian citizen who has been admitted to the university, have confirmed your enrollment and have completed the Certification of Finances, you don’t need a visa. Instead, you are required at the port of entry to present your passport or proof of Canadian citizenship, a certificate of eligibility for nonimmigrant status (the I-20 or DS-2019 form that the University of Maryland provides) and evidence of adequate funding for your proposed program of study. You will then be issued an I-94 card indicating your student visa status.


Terps love a challenge. A problem that needs a solution. A barrier that needs breaking down. You are smart, scrappy and determined. You value diversity, innovation, entrepreneurship and imagination. Ready to start your fearless journey?

Be A Terp


You can only learn so much about a school from a brochure. Even if we tell you how beautiful our campus is, or how fantastic our students and faculty are, you will not know for yourself until you experience it for yourself!

Come try on our campus for size! Stop by one of our top-notch athletic facilities. Have a scoop of homemade ice cream at the Dairy. Rub the nose of one of our beloved Testudo statues for good luck. Get all your questions answered. It won't be hard to picture yourself at home here for the next four years. 

Please visit our updates page for information regarding visit opportunity changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Virtual Visit

Unable to make it to campus? Explore our beautiful campus from anywhere in the world!

Virtual Tour



You have done your research and explored your options, and you know that UMD is the perfect place for you. Now it is time to apply. 



Freshman students applying to UMD can do so using either the Common App or the MyCoalition platform. At this time, transfer students can only apply using the MyCoalition platform.

Please visit our updates page for information regarding changes to our application requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic.


Consistently ranked as one of the best values in public higher education, you can rest assured that you will receive an affordable world-class education.

College is a major investment for you and your family. The university is here to help. We offer an array of financial aid programs—including scholarships, grants, loans and student employment—as part of our commitment to making an excellent education affordable.



State of Maryland Residents


Non-Maryland Residents


Congratulations on your admission to the University of Maryland! We are excited to welcome you into our world of fearless ideas.

You’ve received your admission letter, checked out your major and started celebrating with family and friends. To make enrollment official, check out information for newly admitted students to get everything you need to start your academic career at UMD. 

ENROLL (Freshman)    ENROLL (Transfer)